[Year 12 IT Apps] Interface design: Typefaces, and Comic Sans.

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:23:49 EST 2014

Thanks Mark,

Ironic that the first of those sites has most of its content in capital
letters, which would annoy another group of presentation-obsessed people.
So these sites might in turn generate more sites.

The claim that typefaces have a personality is interesting - is that
inherent, or simply the result of association? If a font is used by legal
offices, does it therefore become seen as official, dry and precise? Or
does the font innately have those properties, and thus get chosen for those
uses?

Would say a person born in rural China with no English exposure see some of
our fonts as comical, dry, formal etc? And vice versa - can you tell a
Korean comic-book typeface from the one that might be used on a headstone?

Massimo Vignelli seems to have a good handle on this - he claims typeface
designers "found the right victim in the advertising people, which they
thought that they should use a different typeface for every different
client.  They should not have two clients with the same type.  God.". In
his view there are "not really much more than that a dozen of good
typefaces and the rest you can really trash it from a design point of view.
"   http://bigthink.com/videos/we-use-way-too-many-fonts

Ken

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Mark <mark at vceit.com> wrote:

> The anger against Comic Sans during discussions of  typefaces never fails
> to amuse me.
> It's akin to the vitriol one sees during gun control debate in 'Murica.
>
> - http://www.comicsanscriminal.com
> - http://bancomicsans.com
> -
> http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fixing-the-worlds-most-hated-font-comic-sans-gets-a-makeover-20140425-zqze4.html
> - http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-11582548
> - http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Dave/comicsans2.png
>
> I think Comic Sans should be legalised (for use in private by consenting,
> loving adults).

> mark AT vceit DOT com
> http://vceit.com
>
> Vincent Connare <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Connare> is
> innocent!

> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority <br>
> Teachers Association Inc <br>

Dr Ken Price MACS CP ACCE Professional Associate.
President, TASITE http://www.tasite.tas.edu.au