[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA exam - B10b (i)

Mark mark at vceit.com
Thu Nov 7 11:27:56 EST 2013

Hi Glenda.

I read "boat hours" as a *running total* of all hires because the sample
data does not show any boat appearing more than once.
There seemed to be no need in the question for a record of *each* hire.

And yes, I agree about 2NF.
Would a database engineer *ever* sit down and say, "OK. I'm deliberately
going to design this database for 2NF, but not 3NF!"
Quibbling over the dividing line between 2NF and 3NF seems to be a pedantic
point for professors to pontificate.

And as for the kids... I can't imagine breathless year 11s filling in their
year 12 subject selection sheets saying, "I'm going for IT Applications
because I hear we learn how second normal form is different to third normal
form. Golly!  I can't wait. It's like design elements, but a whole lot more
dull and confusing."

Cheers
Mark