[Year 12 IT Apps] Data type for TO numbers

Mark mark at vceit.com
Fri Jun 7 09:52:37 EST 2013

Indeed, the ambiguous symbol is a particular problem in passwords.

Clever password-generating software never use zero, "O", 1, capital "i", or
lowercase "L" to avoid these confusions.
I wish they all would... particularly those systems that display the
generated password in a sans serif typeface.
Grrr.

On 6 June 2013 16:11, ken price <kenjprice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Over the years I have had people complain that a computer won't accept
> the value they are putting in, when in fact they are entering the
> letter O to represent the number zero. This is typically in an online
> form where they are entering the number of children in a family, the
> number of days of sick leave used etc.
>
>  I've also had English teachers maintain that pronouncing zero as "oh"
> was correct, so 11703 gets pronounced as one one seven oh three. They
> tend to get upset about incorrect pronunciation of the letters h and z
> , however.
>
> Ken
>
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Roland Gesthuizen <rgesthuizen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Crikey, I wondered about that too! Teaching Officer makes perfect sense.
> > notice you were careful with your typing TO0 ;-)
> >
> > The Tee Ohh number somehow morphed into a Tee Zero. I think it has
> happened
> > at our college too (admin system ??)
> >
> > I enjoy explaining to students why I slash my zeros and sevens, can add
> this
> > to the mix.
> >
> > Regards Roland
> >
> > Roland Gesthuizen | eLearning Leader
> > Keysborough College DEECD
> > http://about.me/rgesthuizen
> >
> > "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
> change
> > the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

<massive snip>

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com