[Year 12 IT Apps] [Year 12 SofDev] Web authoring software

ken price kenjprice at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:26:36 EST 2013

Some years ago I was involved in a project that included the participation
of women in ICT. One of the project leaders wanted a profile of successful
young women working in ICT, in terms of their school education.

Most had studied minimal computing in school (in most cases, none) and
there was only one common pattern - a very odd one.

A significant number of these young women had studied hard to get into
veterinary science, then once into that course at Uni found out that it was
not as pleasant as they thought it would be - dealing with sick, wounded
and maimed animals, putting down livestock, etc etc.

So they abandoned Vet Science and, having the intellectual skills and
having achieved the prerequisites, gave computing a shot.

I'm not suggesting that is a recommended pathway :-) , but it does to some
extent suggest that all is not lost if someone wants to enter the ICT field
having avoided it in school education.

It would indeed be more comforting to see a better gender balance, and also
a wider base in terms of student interests, ambitions and intentions. It
does seem that there are some stereotypes at work in many computing courses
in many parts of the world.

kp

DoE Tasmania