[Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] Backups - a personal story

Robinson, Jarrod J robinson.jarrod.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Apr 23 19:10:44 EST 2013

Cloud storage all the way. I use cloudHQ to sync my Dropbox and Google Drive and a timecapsule for all mac settings

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 23, 2013, at 6:58 PM, "Mark" <mark at vceit.com<mailto:mark at vceit.com>> wrote:

Hi all.

I recently had to organise an intervention - against myself.
I had full-blown backup OCD, with no signs of remission.

My valuable data was stored on my desktop's SSD.
- To be sure, I regularly copied the data to my laptop SDD.
-- Knowing the risk of storing to SSD, I backup up to my main NAS (Network-Attached Storage) - a 6TB Synology DS-410 running under RAID 0.
--- In case the NAS failed, I backed the ESPECIALLY important stuff to my second NAS, a D-Link DNS-323 with 3TB of disks inside.
---- And, just to be sure, I occasionally copied key stuff to hard disks using a USB caddy...
----- And I burnt stuff to DVD.
------ And I uploaded stuff to my several domains, until my host complained that I was using web space for data archiving.

At that stage I realised I had a severe case of backup fever and needed to cure it.

Having become thoroughly sick of burning copies of HUGE files to HDD, SSD, NAS, DVD and FTP, I needed to slap myself around the face and re-evaluate.

It was then I remembered we had installed 'Crashplan' at McKinnon - continuous online backups - and they apparently had a domestic plan as well.  The nice bit was that a file is automatically backed up as soon as it is created or changed, with no user intervention.

So I signed up (about $70 a year for unlimited cloud storage) - they have free plans for backing up to local drives or friends' computers.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle getting it to recognise my mapped networked drives on my LAN, but once I got off my 'I know better' high horse and actually followed the instructions, I now have terabtyes of my NAS storage flowing (very slowly, because of the nature of ADSL) into the cloud.  So now I can maybe lay off the 4-layer backups and just do one or two paranoid copies... just to be sure.  These things are not cured overnight.

BTW - the Crashplan software is installed on my old Acer EEE box which is always running, so torrents, backups and data recovery can run continuously. The old EEE is a very nifty, silent and cheap little beast.  Just be sure to add an extra gigabyte of RAM, a terabyte HDD and Windows 7 to make it sweet.

This is NOT a paid or unpaid ad for Crashplan: there are other places that do a similar job, but Crashplan is good value for unlimited storage.

Actually the trigger for my decision was that my second NAS was getting a bit close to 80% full and I started pricing unit #3... it was than that I figured it would be around $1000 for 8TB, plus the electricity to run the thing 24x7. I started thinking that $70 a year for unlimited space was a worthwhile alternative... albeit at sloth-like data-recovery speeds.

Now I just have to keep in mind the drawbacks of cloud storage... and hope that Crashplan is secure and not likely to go bankrupt soon.

mark AT vceit DOT com
http://vceit.com