[Year 12 IT Apps] News and Upcoming Events

Bianca van Meeuwen bvanmeeuwen at swin.edu.au
Thu Apr 18 15:22:15 EST 2013

Hello all,

I hope you are all staying dry on this rather miserable Melbourne day.

One of our academics, Dr. James Hamlyn-Harris, has recently written an article about 'hacking'. James, or Jim as most of us know him, is an active schools engagement academic providing secondary school students with presentations, demonstrations and workshops regarding cyber and network security.

One piece of advice, which Jim also explains on our school visits, is the following:
"We can only minimise the risks, but the risks are well understood. Turn off scripting, maintain your anti-virus, don't read unsolicited emails, use long passwords, use different passwords, don't download programs you didn't go looking for, be sceptical ... and finally: learn about computer security (to find out what else you can do)."

If you are interested in reading the full article, you can find it on our news page<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/chancellery/mediacentre/ict-faculty/news/2013/04/what-is-hacking> or if you want us to visit your school to speak about network security, please visit our schools website<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/schools?utm_source=schools-newsletter-april2013&utm_medium=edulists&utm_content=schools-newsletter-april2013-edulists&utm_campaign=schools-newsletter-april2013> to register.

I also wanted to write to you about a number of upcoming events:

*         Girls in IT

Our Girls in IT day is back, and it proves to be popular with the May event already fully booked. For those of you who wish to attend a Girls in IT day, please make sure you book in early for the September event<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/schools?utm_source=schools-newsletter-april2013&utm_medium=edulists&utm_content=schools-newsletter-april2013-edulists&utm_campaign=schools-newsletter-april2013>.

The day will include interactive programming and design workshops, inspirational female industry speakers, and an opportunity to hear from current female ICT students. This program is open to students from year 7 to 10.

Visit our Secondary School Support website<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/schools?utm_source=schools-newsletter-april2013&utm_medium=edulists&utm_content=schools-newsletter-april2013-edulists&utm_campaign=schools-newsletter-april2013> to find out more about our programs and to register.

*         The Age VCE & Careers Expo

>From Thursday 2 May until Sunday 5 May you will find us at the Age VCE & Careers Expo at Caulfield Racecourse. Come and see us for information about courses, student life and future opportunities. We'll be right near the entrance!

For more information or to book a school group, visit the Age VCE website<http://www.vceandcareers.com.au/>.

*         ICT in Education Victoria Conference

On Saturday 25 May we will be at the ICT in Education Victoria Conference<http://ictev.vic.edu.au/ictev2013-it-takes-village-state-conference>, held at Melbourne Grammar School. The conference theme is 'IT takes a village". ICTEV2013: IT Takes A Village is a conference that will capture the essence of good teaching and learning, acknowledging that ICT is pivotal to future thinking and directions, and that people are the key.

We hope to see you at one of these events. If you are visiting, please come say hello.

Regards,

Bianca van Meeuwen | ICT Outreach and Marketing Coordinator | Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies | Swinburne University of Technology | PO Box 218 John Street | Hawthorn 3122 | e: bvanmeeuwen at swin.edu.au<mailto:bvanmeeuwen at swin.edu.au> | p: 9214 8768 | f: 9819 5993 | m: 0416 931 105 | Supporting Schools | www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/schools<http://www.swinburne.edu.au/ict/schools>

 [Description: c:\Temp\XPgrpwise\IMAGE_156.png] <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=212142299992>  [Description: c:\Temp\XPgrpwise\IMAGE_157.png] <http://www.swinburne.edu.au/twitter>   [Description: c:\Temp\XPgrpwise\IMAGE_158.png] <http://www.swinburne.edu.au/youtube>  [Description: c:\Temp\XPgrpwise\IMAGE_159.png] <http://podcasts.swinburne.edu.au/itunesu/>