[Year 12 IT Apps] 2011 VCAA Sample Exam

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Oct 16 15:05:46 EST 2012

Thank ye kindly, good sir.  Kevork and I produced answers for the SD sample
questions <http://www.vceit.com/studydesign/SD-sample-answers-2011.htm>,
but I haven't had much of a look at the ITA questions before, but here are
some sample answers for the sample questions...  For those impatient to
find my answer to Anthony's question, jump to the end.

Section A

1. A
2. B
3. D
4. A
5. B (a storyboard has more navigational detail than a sitemap)
6. C
7. A (I still argue that 'ease of use' should be an effectiveness criterion
rather than being put efficiency. I think 'ease of use' has been confused
with 'amount of labour' (e.g. manhours). Anyway...
8. C?
9. C

Section B

1a. Gender.
1b. It could show years of birth rather than ages, since people tend to
remember a YOB even if their arithmetic is so bad that they can't calculate
their current age.
1c. Provide a privacy policy, use SSL or TLS secure connections, offer
prizes.
1d. They can receive information that may be useful or valuable to them.
e.g.  they can find that a pain in the leg could mean the leg is broken.
1e. If one table lists all the drugs, another table could consist of pairs
of drug IDs and corresponding descriptions of risks that may exist when the
2 drugs are taken together.

2. It would require high bandwidth capabilities to cope with video
streaming.

3a. Gender (but it's a bad choice of field to ask that question about. It
would be better as a true/false field)
3b. CamelCase - so multi-word names are more readable. Hungarian Notation -
to identify variable/object types as well as naming them, so they are not
accidentally treated as a different type of data or object.
3c. First normal form: divide address_suburb into separate fields. Second
normal form: create a unique user ID field.
3d. Normalisation removes most data duplication, which makes data
maintenance easier and data inconsistencies easier to find.
Having links between related fields allows you to enforce referential
integrity so key fields cannot be deleted if they have related fields that
would be made 'orphans'.
Having tables that contain all allowable values of a field (e.g. states of
Australia, product codes) let you enforce validation so data input has to
exist in the limited list of the values present in that table

4. subject = Entity.
supervises = Relationship.
Firstname = attribute.
MarkID = key field? (why are some attributes shaded and some are not? Does
it mean white attributes are separate elements to grey ones?)
But it's a dodgy ERD: no cardinality (1/many indicators) are included. More
ERD info <http://vceit.com/slideshows/Design-Tools-ERD.ppt>.

5a. This is a vague one - what is it after? The webpage order form mails
the data in the form's fields to the organisation? The webpage uses some
PHP or similar coding to process the data in the order form and store it in
a MySQL database?  Such vague question annoy me.
5b. So they can sell products and make a profit.  So they know what the
customer wants to buy, where to send the goods, and how to charge the
purchaser. A silly question unless I've missed something...
5c. Post a privacy policy saying how the collected data will be used.
Encrypt the web communications so personal/financial data cannot be
intercepted. Protect the stored data from unauthorised use.

6a. Surnames are often not unique, and the wrong members may be identified.
6b. A phone number could contain spaces, dashes, parentheses, + symbols etc
that cannot be stored in a numeric field.
6c. Radio button - it forces people to enter one (and only one) valid
response.

7. SS - sort products by sales quantities, graph products' sales, use
conditional formatting to highlight sales below average.  Do the same
things by suburb instead of products.
RDBMS - create a summary field [Filemaker Pro] that sums a product's sales
across all suburbs. Create a find (query) to select suburbs/products that
fall below a target value. Use a layout (report) to display/print the
products and/or suburbs. Last year the average mark for the 8 mark question
was 2... not a happy first time out for the ambitious 8-marker!

8a. Usernames & passwords. She'd need to password-protect a folder on the
site that requires a valid username/password before a visitor can enter the
folder.
8b.Once again, the case study does not give enough information to decide if
the Privacy Act applies.  Kids would have to explain their reasoning... If
NowKitchens turns over more than $3 per annum, it would be subject to the
Privacy Act 1988 which requires holders of personal information to protect
the information from unauthorised access (e.g. by other customers). It also
prevents NowKitchens from using the information for a purpose other than
for which it was originally collected.

9. Antivirus scanners up to date and running; firewall to prevent hackers
getting in; encryption of sensitive or personal information being stored
(e.g. PGP) or communicated (TLS on the web, WPA2 on Wifi); physical
security of computer resources; regular, tested backups of data stored
offsite; training of staff to prevent them falling prey to social
engineering (e.g. phishing, opening attachments, giving passwords over the
phone). An org should protect customer data carefully whether or not it's
subject to the Privacy Act, Health Records Act, or Info Privacy Act (go on
about the things that makes an org
subject to these acts); conduct penetration tests and/or software audits to
find holes in security; use passwords to protect equipment, documents, data
from misuse.  etc.

10a.  They can all access and share the same data at the same time, so they
always get up-to-date information. They can collaborate easily, e.g. joint
simultaneous editing of a document.
10b. Cloud backup is slow, e.g. to copy a 100M document would take many
minutes even with a fast internet connection, compared to seconds to save
it to hard disk. The cloud service provide may not be reliable: they may
misuse backed-up data, go out of business suddenly (e.g. MegaUpload), or
suddenly cancel the company's account and lock them out of their data (e.g.
Google).

This brings us to the original question asked by Anthony.

The actual full question is, "Outline a procedure for the disposal of
client data that Stratospheric Solutions could follow when using cloud
computing." which gives clue or two more. It is not referring to a
procedure used by the cloud service provider.

But the answer is still "just delete the client data": they would not be
able to wipe/overwrite it since the storage device upon which the data are
stored on is beyond their control.  I don't see what else a kid could offer
to earn 3 marks.

Quibbles, additions, corrections are welcome.

Mark Kelly - kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Phone: +613 8520 9085, Fax +613 9578 9253
VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist <http://edulists.com.au/itapps/index.htm>
Visit Diigo links for ITA <http://groups.diigo.com/group/vce-info-tech> and
SD <http://groups.diigo.com/group/vce-sd>
--
My personal best for the 100 metre sprint is 11.9 metres.