[Year 12 IT Apps] NINE mark question??

Peter Langham peterlangham1983 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:05:03 EST 2012

Here's my attempt at the normalisation question

1NF - No lists of data in any cell.
Divide the data in any of the memberName, memberAddress, driverName fields.
memberAddress becomes: memberAddress becomes memberAddress and
memberPostcode
E.g.
memberAddress : 2 Hill St
memberSuburb : Richmond
This allows for more specific queries. E.g. Filtering data by Suburb.

2NF - each non-key field must be fully dependent on the key
yearsWorked is dependent on driverName. Make a seperate table where
driverName is the Primary Key and it is a Foreign Key in the memberName
table.
Table 1: memberName, memberAddress, driverName (foreign key), carRate($),
totalFee($)
Table 2: driverName (primary key), yearsWorked
This ensures data integrity as the yearsWorked data would only need to be
updated in the one cell now instead of multiple cells.

3NF - every field in a table must relate directly to the primary key
carRate($) is dependent on the size of the car. I'd add a foreign key field
to table1 carSize which would become a primary key field in the third table.
 Table 1: memberName, memberAddress, driverName (foreign key), carSize
(foreign key)
Table 2: driverName (primary key), yearsWorked
Table 3: carSize, carRate($)

This leaves us with what I beleive should be a calculated field,
totalFee($).
totalFee($): [yearsWorked]*[carRate($)]

I may have 2NF and 3NF in the wrong order.

Unfortunately, I didn't go over this in a lot of depth with my students, I
expected that they would have the choice of which Normal Form they solved
for, like the VCAA sample exam so we focused on 1NF more heavily than the
other two normal forms.

Peter Langham
Narre Warren South P-12