[Year 12 IT Apps] advice on exam

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 30 13:25:18 EST 2012

Hi Michael. The exam should not be examining Access in particular, but in
practice I think its terminology tends to show it does assume students do
use Access or similar software... certainly not Filemaker!

The skills that can be examined are:

   - *create tables*
   - *create relationships between tables*
   - *use a range of data types*
   - *electronic validation*
   - *create, edit and use queries*
   - *use of calculated fields*
   - *sort records or index on different fields.*

If databases are also used in U4O1, the additional skills needed include:

   - *import/export of data*
   - *format data for display*
   - *create and edit a range of forms, including different data types and
   controls*
   - *create and edit a range of formatted reports.*

But since databases are not compulsory in unit 4, unless those skills
appear in other key knowledge  (e.g. see below re. data formatting) I doubt
a specific exam question on those skills would be given.

Normalisation is not listed here, but it is included in other key knowledge
so it is examinable. Also included are key knowledge from U3O2...

   1. a methodology for creating an RDBMS structure: identifying tables and
   fields; normalising tables, defining data types and field sizes,
   identifying primary key and foreign key fields
   2. ways in which normalisation can ensure the integrity of data in an
   RDBMS
   3. design tools for describing data types, and the value of entity
   relationship (ER) diagrams for representing the structure of an RDBMS
   4. design tools for representing solutions
   5. functions and techniques within an RDBMS to efficiently and
   effectively manipulate and validate data
   6. functions and techniques to retrieve required information through
   searching, sorting, filtering and querying data sets
   7. methods and techniques for testing that the solutions perform as
   intended.

Key knowledge and skills in U4O1 include...

   1. functions, techniques and procedures for efficiently and effectively
   manipulating data using an RDBMS or spreadsheet software, including the
   application of formats and conventions, the validation of data and the
   management of files
   2. techniques for testing solutions and user acceptance
   3. strategies for evaluating the extent to which solutions meet
   organisations' needs
   4. content and types of onscreen user documentation, including quick
   start guide, tutorial, content sensitive help and manual
   5. characteristics of efficient and effective user interfaces and
   information architecture
   6. functions, techniques and procedures for efficiently and effectively
   manipulating data using web authoring or multimedia authoring software.

Key skills

   1. use an RDBMS or spreadsheet software and apply suitable functions,
   formats, conventions and data validation techniques to develop solutions

Skills...

   1. use an RDBMS or spreadsheet software and apply suitable functions,
   formats, conventions and data validation techniques to develop solutions

So there's a fair bit to cover...

Regards
Mark

On 30 August 2012 13:00, Bretag, Michael M <
bretag.michael.m at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

> Hi Mark and the list
>
> In reference to the below message about the VCAA mandated skills for the
> different SACs. Just having some thoughts on revision for this year.
>
> What Microsoft Access skills do you think could be on the end of year
> exam? For example, in previous exams there have been questions on
> normalisation, relationships, data types....
>
> Do you think there will be any in particular skills that students should
> focus on?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael
>
> Glenroy College

<snip>

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au << use this, not Edumail please!
VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist
--
Your word for today:  A tittle is the dot on the letter "i"