[Year 12 IT Apps] When to establish evaluation criteria?

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Mon Sep 12 21:19:42 EST 2011

However
Who does evaluation?  The users ­ the client ­ the workers. Not the
designer, not the coder, not the analyst, etc.

Criteria are all about : does it do what was identified as needing doing?
Does it fix the identified problem? / needs? /wants? /desires (written and
contracted)? /whatever it was that got the analyst in there in the first
place?

you must set the evaluation criteria before you start the design otherwise
you will only evaluate the solution you create/design ­ you might not be
evaluating a solution to the problem that you identified in the analysis.

We often tend to create test data that tests what we have designed, not
necessarily test key decision points- we have all (I am sure) left out key
decisions (in our design) because we worked on the design without
referencing the analysis often enough and because our test data and our
evaluation criteria were created after the solution  and so only
tested/evaluated the solution that we made - ---

So, simply put, in reality, we create our evaluation criteria, our test
data, and our client acceptance criteria before we start designing so that
we do not waste time in the design phase working on things that do not fit
with the analysis stage. All design works towards satisfying the
tests/evaluation/acceptance. At every step.

If the analysis stage does not identify what constitutes a solution for the
client then analyse properly. There is no point in doing anything if you do
not understand what the client wants ­ unless of course you work for free or
you are an artist (see Blue Poles as a good example ­ would that work as a
solution in a client focussed environment?).
I do NOT work for free when creating things for clients. I also do not allow
for wastage that is avoidable so do not quote above the needs identified in
the analysis; thus I ensure that I identify what they want.

Andrew --
It must be bedtime so off my hobby horse. Good night

Andrew Shortell

mailto:shortell at get2me.net
Heidelberg Teaching Unit
Ph 9470 3403