[Year 12 IT Apps] The cloud is not perfect...

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 08:56:25 EST 2011

Thanks Mark,

I was curious to spot some addendums on the original post with now just
40,000 accounts affected (perhaps having trouble with one server
restoration) .. a fraction of a faction of a percent, perhaps a saltmine
data centre just filled with water or sea-haven fell into the sea. The
Google Virtual Machines I hear are replicated across different continents on
hundreds of thousands of servers.. My suspicion is that they had to manually
restore some accounts and this probably takes up to 24 hours. Their apology
is probably just good caution.

This is better data recovery than compared to say, replicating your files to
a home computer where we typically only rarely backup. As I keep pointing
out to my family, hard drives and USB keys do and will fail .. and that
storing the backup drive with or next to the computer is a bad idea. Any
enterprise CEO can still keep and automatically sync a local backup of their
cloud based Gmail and Docs with webdav and imap.

Regards Roland

**
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Mark KELLY <kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au>wrote:

> GFail: Google ‘Very Sorry’ After the Cloud Eats 150,000 Gmail Accounts
>
> "For years now, Google has touted the reliability of its cloud-based
> products — web services like Gmail and Docs that live on remote Google
> servers, which users can access from anywhere.
>
> Of course, if you were one of the estimated 150,000 people whose Gmail
> accounts vanished into the ether Sunday night, you may be
> re-evaluating the efficacy of these cloud-based services."
>
> http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/gmail-fail/

> Manager of ICT, Reporting, IT Learning Area
> McKinnon Secondary College
> Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085, Fax +613 9578 9253
> kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
>
> VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
> Moderator: IT Applications Edulist
>
> All generalisations are false, except this one.

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College