[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA U4O1 task 1 weighting

Natalie H natinga71 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 00:08:08 EST 2011

Lurker peeking out from behind the Mossy Log of Safety here.

I'm getting my boys to create a kiosk style PowerPoint. My original intention was to export the finished product as html (as was possible in older versions, no matter how much the concept made me cringe. Must admit I only did this once about 15 years ago and was horrified at the html it generated). When I realised it was no longer an option in Office 2010 (an excellent decision, Microsoft!) I figured there must be an easy way to convert it to a Flash object, but in the process discovered (well, stumbled upon) the option to save as a pdf file - with all of the the hyperlinks intact. It looks and feels like an interactive multimedia product and gives my students another software tool used in a way they haven't seen before. I feel it meets the criteria and looks fantastic with very little effort or time on their part - throwing together a web site would take up a lot more valuable SAC time. It also allows them to focus on organising their thoughts into
 logical steps and getting the content right without worrying about all the things they have already worried about in Unit 3 Outcome 1. Same rationale as covering spreadsheets for this outcome - give them exposure to Good and Proper use of a wider variety of software types.

I have been wondering what others were going to do, looks like I may not be the only one heading down this path. Yay!

Natalie Heath (Parade College)