[Year 12 IT Apps] Help needed

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Sat Jan 29 13:29:49 EST 2011

Hi, The Other Mark

- wired.com is a good place to get a view of what's in the air.
- I use snippets from Good Game (ABC) - some good tech news there, esp.
related to gaming, which kids identify with.
- Get the kids to research and present a talk/slideshow on an IT issue. It's
a good way of justifying the showing of a lot of IT videos  - it and helps
fill the time when you really couldn't be bothered going on stage, or have
to keep the audience quiet while you deal with administrivia  ;-)
- Do a bit on home networking and SOHO design, including wifi security. It's
the only time I've seen year 9/10 kids frantically taking notes, because
they want to try it at home. They also like the researching of home network
equipment and getting prices online.
- Cover website setup: get them to find a domain name they like and go
shopping for a web host.  They will spend *hours* on that!
- If your techies can swing it, let the kids play with a CMS like Joomla or
Drupal or similar.  Hours of fun for the whole family.

HTH

On 29 January 2011 07:35, Mark Scott <msc at luther.vic.edu.au> wrote:

>  Hi all
>

> I am hopeful that someone might come to my rescue.
>

> I am taking a Yr 9 Emerging Technologies class for the next two weeks to
> cover a teacher on sick leave.
>

> Has anybody got two weeks worth of something exciting that I can throw at
> 17 yr 9 students?
>

> Almost anything exciting fresh and new will do. (don't ask much do I?)
>

> Mark Scott
>
> Luther College

ICT / Reporting / IT Learning Area Manager

McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204
Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085
Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist

I heard that not as many women are getting Brasilians nowadays.
Does this mean that waxing is waning?