[Year 12 IT Apps] School Curriculum Restructur

Colin SUTTON oz.sutton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 14:22:41 EST 2011

Hi

I started a similar thread on this a couple of years ago and the split was
roughly 50/50 on schools who did/did not have ICT as a CORE subject. There
are ICT electives at Yr 8 - 10. Some students come to Monty with good skills
and others don't - usually based on the feeder school.

I'm at a school that has NO core at Year 7 and so students can go through
their WHOLE high school life without doing ANY ICT with an "expert". I think
may parents (and teachers) would be worried if students went through their
whole school life without doing food or science or maths or materials or
history or ... without an expert teacher, it just got taught as part of the
"curriculum" by teachers who felt like it and got around to it and felt
comfortable teaching it.

I had a small but difficult Yr 10 semester unit last year. When the VB
software wasn't loaded on the system unexpectedly, I thought on my feet and
trotted out "spreadsheets" as a topic. I was AMAZED many said "This is the
FIRST time we'd done these"!!

I'm sure this new thread will spark a lot of debate!

Regards

COLIN SUTTON
(IT Monty SC on LSL pending retirement)