[Year 12 IT Apps] School Curriculum Restructure

Biggins, Leanne D biggins.leanne.d at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Apr 28 20:51:26 EST 2011

Yep, we eliminated IT at years 8 and 10 a few years ago.  I don't like it.  I guess that we cover the basics at year 7 (one semester only) but by year 9, IT is an elective and so, students can go from year 7 to VCE with only one semester of IT - you can't get much background knowledge with that.  The assumption that IT will be integrated and other classes will cover the skills does not work in reality.  Yes, it is a good idea in principle, but other teachers do not have the time to cover their own subject matter, let alone new IT topics - and teachers often know very little themselves and lack confidence in this area anyway.  Students tend to use word or PowerPoint almost exclusively as they don't explore much else.  Wikis would be a good start, but not many staff use them.  The Ultranet might eventually change that. Then there is the issue with how often the other classes can access computers....... (by the way Michael or Gavin, if you are reading this, no hard feelings!)

Just my own impression.
Leanne Biggins
Heathmont College