[Year 12 IT Apps] Database Normalisation

JennyG j1 at imaginethis.biz
Thu Apr 21 13:40:37 EST 2011

Hi,
I have updated Mark's Powerpoint on normalizing databases. You will need to use this URL to download it. (Copy it into your browser address line if clicking it won't work)

home.exetel.com.au/smart1/Chisholm/Database-Normalisation.zip

I have gained lots of help from you guys since I started teaching VCE middle of last year. So I hope I can help in this way. If there is anything that is not clear please let me know. I am one of those nerdy people who normalize in their sleep! I did last night anyway, after working on this till 1 am!
I went into the history of data storage a little bit, just to give a bit of a basic background of the concept of databases.
Classifying data as Reference or Transaction data is a very important (see powerpoint). It makes it so much easier to develop the front-end screens. You should only need one screen per table and their functions are relevant to the type of table it is. For example, using the last example in this Powerpoint, you would need one simple screen each to update the reference data (Books table and the Customer table), and a third screen, with drop-down lists (to select Customer and Books), that allows users to enter data into the Purchases table when a book is bought. (see MS Access mdb to see what I mean).
I don't know if the book mentions reference and transaction data. In fact I should mention that I did not refer to the text book at all while doing this so I hope it is relevant to the VCE requirements. Basically there is no exact explanation of the different normal forms, as they are stages, but they have to be done right, and you were right, it becomes instinctive, thats why it has taken me so long to work out how to explain how it is done!
Attached to this email are the xls raw data file for the last example and a simple MS Access mdb for anyone interested.

Jenny Gielb
VCE IT Teacher
Chisholm Institute of TAFE
Dandenong Campus