[Year 12 IT Apps] Database Normalisation

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Apr 21 11:55:12 EST 2011

Hi Jenny, and thanks for your interest in normalisation.  You say you "hope
it is relevant to the VCE requirements", and that is the main point I want
to make about VCE IT normalisation.

The details of 1/2/3NF is WAY too much for ITA kids.  It's for tertiary
students and professionals; expecting our kids to understand the diff
between 2NF and 3NF, I believe, is a pointless waste of time.

I only hope the examiners see reason and put normalisation in its proper
place... "What is normalisation, and why is it good? (2 marks)"

Have a happy pagan northern-hemisphere spring celebration, everyone!

Mark

kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist

All generalisations are false, except this one.