[Year 12 IT Apps] Unit 4 2011: RDBMS Part 2 or Spreadsheets

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 11 15:39:23 EST 2010

Hi all.

Spreadsheets and databases have a lot of common content, to the point of
having identical formulas at times.

I've just finished writing a couple of practice exams for next year, and a
question that could be answered with either spreadsheet or database
knowledge was easier than I thought it would be to write.

I'll be doing spreadsheets and databases as well as everyone else seems to
be. While it's true that after skilling up for U3O2 it's not hard to learn a
few more skills for databases again in U4O1, I think it's more of an issue
of kids' attitudes.

They dislike databases; *really *dislike databases. They really
*like*spreadsheets. Their marks this year in my class confirm that
they put far
less energy and care into the database task.

Many of them felt down after U3O1.  Switching to Excel for U4O1 was a clean
slate for them mentally and they tackled it with renewed vigour. They really
pulled out all the stops for Excel and lifted their marks considerably.

The prospect of doing two depressing database tasks in a row would not make
them happy munchkins next year.

Most kids have had quite a bit of Excel experience upon entry to ITA, so
training is not a big hurdle.  And, as I mentioned above, the similarities
of the SS/dB content makes the transition to spreadsheets pretty easy,
leveraging existing dB skills.

Sorry for rambling.  Just finished marking year 11 IT exams and time now
seems plentiful  ;-)

Regards
Mark

Manager Information Systems
Reporting Manager
IT Learning Area Manager

McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204
Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: +613 8520 9085
Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

VCE IT Lecture Notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IT Applications Edulist

My cow died on this day two years ago.  I know because I noted it in my
dairy.