[Year 12 IT Apps] Unit 4 2011: RDBMS Part 2 or Spreadsheets

Jackson Bates bates.j at wcc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 11 09:58:57 EST 2010

Hi All,

Just out of curiosity, what are you all doing for unit 4: Databases or spreadsheets? And what is your rationale for this?

--

A reminder from VCAA about the functions to be demonstrated in both:

(taken from http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vcaa/correspondence/bulletins/2010/July/vce_study.html#2)

Relational database management system

The following functions apply to Unit 3:

*create tables

*create relationships between tables

*use a range of data types

*electronic validation

*create, edit and use queries

*use of calculated fields

*sort records or index on different fields.

If students use a relational database management system in Unit 4, the following additional functions apply:

*import/export of data

*format data for display

*create and edit a range of forms, including different data types and controls

*create and edit a range of formatted reports.

Spreadsheets

*conditional formatting

*formulae including simple functions (SUM, average, maximum, minimum, count), conditional statements and lookup tables

*cell protection

*graphs

*insert notes/comments

*macros

*relative and absolute cell references

*naming a range

*electronic validation

*sheet referencing

*formatting/layout

--

FWIW I'll probably run with spreadsheets, just for the sake of building wider usable skills, but I'm open to ideas.

On a side note, I assume only the database knowledge from unit 3 can be on the exam, since there is no way for the exam to differentiate between those students that have done Databases Unit 4 or Spreadsheets. Does my thinking seem sound on that?

Regards,

Jackson Bates
VCE IT Applications
Waverley Christian College

[WCCSIG]

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately and notify the system administrator on srvadm at wcc.vic.edu.au.
WARNING: Although the college has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the college cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.