[Year 12 IT Apps] U4O2 KK09 (for 2011) - disaster recovery

Andrew Shortell shortell at get2me.net
Wed Nov 3 18:39:56 EST 2010

all sorts of disasters can affect our data. e.g a break-in and theft of the computer and the back-up drive lying beside it. Does the DRP include where to get a replacement machine and where the off site back up is kept and has the back up(s) been tested on a new machine? ... What about an earthquake - that would be a disaster for our data... did the building collapse? how do we get our backup out of the fireproof safe now?
I read somewhere that over 80% of businesses that have a disaster that involves loss of data go bankrupt... Does your DRP involve being able to set up in other premises with reasonably intact data etc? in how long?

A few years ago QUIT Victoria had to move out of their premises in the city because the building cracked. They were not allowed to go back in to collect anything for a week. All of their data was in there but the power had been switched off for safety. No Access!!

Now that was a disaster....

What about all the businesses in Marysville or Bendigo last year....

Thus I believe that we should acknowledge that all disasters can cause data disasters and so be ready ...

[ I'll raise you 5c because the 5c coin has already been deleted in NZ and is likely to go here soon too, so let's use them while we can ;]

Andrew Shortell
Wallan SC