[Year 12 IT Apps] IT Apps study design

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 29 09:09:16 EST 2010

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/02/70179

http://www.writewithtaste.com/blog/tone_problems_in_emails.html

Regards
Robert T-A
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kevork Krozian
  Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:51 PM
  Subject: Re: [Year 12 IT Apps] IT Apps study design

  Hi Folks,

  It is great advice you give Mark when a controversial email is about to be sent to just let it sit and gather some dust before actually posting. I know I have regretted certain emails I have written in the past and have tried to correct them to no avail. One in particular caused the accused to be further isolated off line by those who chose one side and continued the attack. When I apologised for the original post and asked the accused to come back - they had chosen to leave the lists upon my not so subtle advice .... - I was asked to take up the fight against those who had continued the attack off line. So messy , so unfortunate, so unnecessary. I wish I could turn back the clock ... but alas.

  On a more general point, it is of concern to me that we simply don't get enough of our lurkers to join in our discussions. Latest census shows 471 itapps subscribers.  Could it be that they know it all and don't need to ask anything ? Or more ominously could it be that they are afraid they might be shot down if they make a comment ? Anecdotally, I do hear that some feel their work may not be up to the standard they think is on these discussions and hence do not join in.

  I am working on acquiring sponsorship to recognise contributions and participation on these lists (  I did think the support and professional satisfaction was enough but maybe not,  for many ).
  I am looking at a 1st , 2nd and 3rd placement for volume of contributions and support of others over a school year along the lines of a substantial gift for those who help others - a laptop, a powerful mobile device, etc are my preferences.

  While I work on the sponsorship front, I want to congratulate Roland, Adrian, Robert, Mark and others for their professional handling of this thread. As Roland said we couldn't see the body language when he was typing and as Adrian mentioned, it took a long, long time to bring together this Study Design that was not so visible to many and the steering committee was of the view every opportunity was afforded for input.  The solution to all our woes lies in open honest communication.

  Ahhh, first Sunday of our holidays , and we are here working and fighting for the cause. It that a form of the Stockholm/Helsinki syndrome in action  ??

  Sending this after waiting the requisite 60 mins in the Drafts folder following Mark's wise words.

  Warm Regards

  Kevork Krozian
  kevork at edulists.com.au
  www.edulists.com.au