[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA new design. Sorry - another one.

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Mar 26 16:54:25 EST 2010

In Filemaker,  if table 1 contains an employee ID related to table 2 which
contains employee data, and entered an employee ID in table 1 that did not
exist in table 2, no related data would be shown.

As I mentioned before, you can force Filemaker to be more fussy by using
validation rules, but it's not a simple tickbox next to "Enforce Referential
Integrity"  :-)

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Mike Brookes <mikebr at tpg.com.au> wrote:

>  Normalising a database is a process for making the design of tables more
> efficient.
>
> http://databases.about.com/od/specificproducts/a/normalization.htm
>
> Referential integrity is about preventing the user entering a value in a
> foreign key field which does not exist in the key field of the table being
> looked up.
>
> If Filemaker does not enforce referential integrity what does it do if it
> can't link the two tables?
>
> Mike Brookes
> Chief cook and bottlewasher
> Copperfield College
>

> On 26/03/2010 3:02 PM, Mark KELLY wrote:
>
> Apologies for all the posts, but the new design is an interesting beast.
>
> ITA U3O2 Key Knowledge 11 - *"ways in which normalisation can ensure the
> integrity of data in an RDBMS"*
>
> Assuming they mean "referential integrity", this will be an interesting
> dotpoint if you're using Filemaker which does not use the concept of
> referential integrity*
>

> *Except as an awkward kludge by using a validation rule ("exists in limited
> list") and defining the list to include values in a foreign key field.

> Manager - Information Systems
> McKinnon Secondary College
> Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
> School Phone +613 8520 9000