[Year 12 IT Apps] NSW Government recording features for facial recognition

Mark KELLY kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jun 3 14:39:50 EST 2010

Sounds like a breach of the Privacy Act to me:

*National Privacy Principle 2: Use and Disclosure
An organisation must not use or disclose information about an individual for
any other purpose (a secondary purpose) other than the purpose for which the
information was collected, except in a number of exceptions specified in the
Act. *

I bet they've organised themselves a cosy exception to the Act, however...

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Anderson, Stuart L <
anderson.stuart.l at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>  *NSW Government recording features for facial recognition*
>
> THE New South Wales Government is quietly compiling a mathematical map of
> almost every adult's face, sharing information that allows law enforcement
> to track people by CCTV.
>

> http://www.news.com.au/technology/nsw-government-recording-features-for-facial-recognition/story-e6frfro0-1225874819392
>

>   *Stuart Anderson*
> VCE Accounting and IT Applications teacher
> Kambrya College
>
> _

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 9578 9253
kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

Korma: the philosophy that what you get out of a curry depends on what you
put into it.