[Year 12 IT Apps] Apple OS10 Offer

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:39:40 EST 2010

I now have a macbook ... no reason why any teacher should not get one if
they ask. It is my personal preference to openly let staff choose. Whilst
easy to dual boot but in my case, I enjoy using VirtualBox to access a
windows desktop. (am doing it now for a unit on Access / Base although next
year we go with Filemaker Pro :-)

It is a phony for anybody to insist that only graphics or arts teachers need
them when anybody can. Many teachers here use them .. they wont make the
milk go sour, nobody wears white shoes and the technicians enjoyed the
challenge of learning somthing new. Just talk to the staff at Ringwood SC,
Coburg SHS etc ..  About 95% of our software also came with an OSX version
and what didn't (ala Markbook) could be run in a Windoze or virtual
partition. Even our Timetabler, daily organiser using FirstClass has a
Macbook.

There are many lies around .. (mac don't work with a two button mouse, macs
are hard to repair, black is faster than white ... ) The biggest lie is that
there is no choice.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au