[Year 12 IT Apps] Learn PHP and MySQL to make useful websites and support your students

31Graham Marshall graham951 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 7 10:01:29 EST 2010

Bit expensive.

Considering that teachers are only allowed $360.00 for PD.

Graham Marshall

From: kbeveridge at stbc.vic.edu.au
To: itapps at edulists.com.au
Subject: RE: [Year 12 IT Apps] Learn PHP and MySQL to make useful websites and support your students
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 22:51:59 +0000

Hang on a mo..
Am I to understand this 'PD' is $600 for ONE DAY?(add the price of a replacement teacher for a day too for participants)

'scuse me while I pick myself up off the floor...

(make sure we remember to add accomodation/meal/travel costs for country folk!)

YEP, I'm back on my price-horse again for 2010.

Hey Jo, can you cast your mind back to comments I made during our last phone call and you will know what I am going on about.
Looks like I have to miss out on another potentially useful PD as again, have been priced way out of the ball park!!!(the I.T budget up here aint that big and nor is my wage - thats almost my take home pay for a week - can we start running PD's at an affordable and reasonable price pleeeez??)

Lets put something in as a parallel...
A full Cert IV qualification can be obtained for $1500 and takes an average of 3-5 months to complete.

YEP I know this will upset some readers on this list. Apologies in advance for those such offended!
But how are teachers like myself going to get these skills other than self teaching if we simply cant afford to these things. Perhaps VITTA should look at the so called 'education revolution' and source funding to reduce costs of hosting these events to make them more affordable for 'single day PD's '.

I am all for offering my students programming at Year 12 but if this is the cost of training via our subject organisation then many are going to wonder if the costs of upskilling for the job are worth it. Unfortunately, the students 'may' be the victims of this cost explosion.
For what its worth, I wish to introduce Software Devel here at our school in either 2011 or 2012. I wish to provide my upcoming students every opportunity but costs like this make it really a challenge!

I am happy to take VITTA phone calls to discuss this issue and possible remedies(but dont offer a time payment plan as that doesnt reduce the cost).

Respectfully closing off..
Kent.