[Year 12 IT Apps] [OT] Are iPads 'computers'?

Gales, Graham W gales.graham.w at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Dec 10 17:31:22 EST 2010

There was a short note in the Herald Sun recently (in an editorial?) that students at a state secondary college (Noble Park?) would be using iPads next year as their 'text books'.

I read it to mean that the students' text books would be available electronically and then loaded onto an iPad.

Thus
 no heavy texts to carry to class each lesson
 less weight in school bags to take home
 every child has the same/  right edition of the text
 text can incorporate active web links and linked video clips (as long as school network allows access to sites)
 no chance to recoup costs of text books via resale(?), or will the cost be significantly reduced as there are no printing costs now?

Would this mean the students buy an iPad on which the books/ resources are loaded?  or do they lease it?  Can the iPad with the loaded texts be resold?

Anyone else heard of this? or doing something similar?

Graham Gales
Bright P-12 College