[Year 12 IT Apps] IARTV October test

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Sun Sep 6 11:38:39 EST 2009

Hello Mark

Basically, yes. When you create a relationship the idea idea of enforcing RI
hits you right in the face but nothing actually forces you to tick the box.
I must admit I've always thought this odd since I would have thought that RI
was an integral part of the RDB model, one which would be defaulted to
'enforce' so that it was only turned off if you knew what you were doing.

Apparently Codd (creator of RDB model) defined two rules: entity integrity
(primary key field cannot contain null) and referential integrity.
Interestingly, Access enforces the first but not the second (at least by
default).

Regards
Robert T-A