[Year 12 IT Apps] OT: NSSCF 1:2 ratio and 1:1 Yr9-12

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 18:38:24 EST 2009

A sun thin client server .. actually we could run anything on them, windoze,
SLED, ubuntu etc .. They go with the little kiosk boxes that will last for
decades, just plug in keyboard / mouse and away you go. Some of you saw this
set in operation by NetworkHelp at the VITTA conference last year when they
were running the cyber cafe computers outside the trade area. Am trying to
source a mounting bracket that I heard you can use to bolt these to the
backs of LCD monitors sounds like a good idea when I saw something similar
with what you can do with an Apple MacMini.

This term we are going to do a huge shuffle on our network to rationalise
what is running on what hardware with dozens of vlrtual machines to juggle.
Kevork gave me some good clues with his setup at Forest Hill, the other
clues I got from Monash Uni. Most of them are small footprint debian linux
computers, others run Win / Novell. Each has a job to do. Currently have a
Sun 4150 and purchasing a Sun 7110 Unified Storage
system<http://www.sun.com/storage/disk_systems/unified_storage/7110>to
host the machines. Virtualising our network was one of the most
sensible
things we have done in the past few years. Brave step forward but you need
the right hardware in place.

Regards Roland