[Year 12 IT Apps] OT: NSSCF 1:2 ratio and 1:1 Yr9-12

Colin SYMONS CSY at gwsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Oct 22 21:14:54 EST 2009

Sorry for the off topic discussion, if there is a better forum to air it let me know Kevork.

We are in the process of discussing how we are going to meet the 1:2 ratio and best work towards meeting the mandated 1:1 ratio of computer/companion devices for yr9-12 students. I was wondering if other schools are working their way through this and how you are intending to address the requirements.

Below are some of the questions we are currently pondering and would be interested in your responses.

What combination of desktops, notebooks and netbooks are you going to use to meet the 1:1 ratio?

Do you envisage parental contributions to support the program? If so, what proportion of cost is being considered? What if they don't pay?

Do the students have ownership and take them home or does the school house and recharge them?

How do you plan to sustain the program after the initial purchase?

How are you also intending to delivering the NSSCF requirement of 1:2 across 7&8?

Some technical support is being provided, how do you intend to manage this?

We are a large school and this would mean an additional 1300 -1400 computer devices. What management issues do you see arising at your school?

A response to just a few of these questions or any other issues that you foresee would be of benefit to our discussions. On or off list replies would be great.

Regards

Colin Symons

Head of Technology KLA

Glen Waverley Secondary College