[Year 12 IT Apps] OT - Ultranet functionality

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Sat Mar 14 17:36:34 EST 2009

>From Roland> ... agree on an XML transport layer and ...

Exactly my thoughts when all this came out into the open. Most (secondary) schools have most programs they need to operate the school's admin. If our place is anything to go by, the single biggest inefficiency is the lack of interoperabilty between the various packages.When the new report format was introduced and a contract awarded to produce QuickVic, someone managed to cobble together an XML specification that allows qucik, easy transfer of data between CASES and QuickVic (MarkBook). It seems to me that creating an EducXML and then insisting that all vendors create import/export functions that speak EducXML would be a heck of a lot cheaper, free up a lot of time for users, and have a greater chance of success than inventing a whole new, all singing, all dancing wheel.

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC