[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA List document sharing

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 08:51:13 EST 2009

Ken is right .. the issue has much to do with the obscenity of vendor
lock-in. This is a great IT issue that we can discuss in class. I have done
this using some of the material and examples published here:
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor_lock-in

Our pluralistic world is a better place because of great teachers that
deliver a rich curriculum program that is packed with assorted tools such as
PHP MySQL, FileMaker Pro, MS Access, Base and yes, even Dbase III. We can
say as much for word processing, languages and programming tools.

Our Cambodia students (we are the only secondary school in Australia that
teaches Khmer) cannot use Vista / Office2007 but happily now engage with
their language with OpenOffice3.0. When I mentioned this once to a DEECD
rep, the remark "Who cares about Cambodia" made my blood boil.

Anybody who supports the recent clever abuse of the standards process and
the term “open standard” can join the flat earth society along with stooges
that follow vague "industrial standard" terms to specify what is good for
student learning. I will add them into the same pot with those that mandate
particular web browsers to view online content.

Please, lets not fall into the trap of mandated solutions and centralised
school controls on media formatting. We should instead encourage an honest
debate about open standards and good practice in our IT profession.

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au