[Year 12 IT Apps] information needed for gantt charts

Mark Scott msc at luther.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 5 13:39:10 EST 2009

In Project Management Lead Time is the time it takes to complete a task or a set of interdependent tasks. The Lead Time of the entire project would be the overall duration of the critical path for the project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_time#Lead_time_in_Project_Management

The time required by one task before another task can begin.

Baker, S & K. Baker. On Time/On Budget, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1992

An overlap between tasks that have a dependency.

Glossary, User's Guide for Microsoft Project 98, Microsoft Corporation, 1997, p307

A technique called lead time is used to represent partial dependencies. By using lead time, certain tasks can overlap by a fixed amount or by a percentage of the predecessor task. For example, testing can start when 30% of coding is finished. It can be thought of as the predecessor task getting a head start, or lead, before the successor task starts. Because the term is easy to confuse with Lag Time, lead time is also referred to as Overlap or Negative Lag.

http://www.leadingproject.com/wiki/Glossary/LeadTime

Occurs when a task should theoretically wait for its predecessor to finish, but can actually start a little early. The time that the tasks overlap is lead time. For example, when replacing computers in a computer lab, you could actually start bringing in the new computers while the old ones were being packed up and moved out. The time during which packing and unpacking can happen at the same time is lead time.

Gospel according to Mark<http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au/vceit/ganttpert/projmanterms.htm> (Kelly)

Seems to me that the partial dependency theory definition wins the day for Lead time.

Slack and Lag time would seem to be interchangeable for the purposes of Units 3 and 4 ITA.

Mark Scott
Luther College