[Year 12 IT Apps] OT - Ruddy Money

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Jul 29 11:34:43 EST 2009

Not really.  When the UMPCs are new, their batteries will be flat by
lunchtime and need recharging.
After a year or so the batteries won't keep a charge and we'll have to
plug them into the wall all day, or buy new batteries...
And until WINS is updated, the standard DEECD wireless setup's WAP load
sharing doesn't work properly so 50 clients will all attach to one WAP
while 2 other WAPs are sitting idle.
And we'll need cupboards or COWs to store them in, and lend them in and
out constantly...
And they're not gutsy enough yet to manage Photoshop and its ilk.
And we'll need vastly more technician hours to maintain them.

I keep saying notebook technology is not mature enough yet for heavy use
in schools...

Anyway, this is all offtopic...  I'll just go away and mumble to myself
for a while  :-)

Cameron Bell wrote:
> Thank god for UMPC's eh?
> Cameron
>
> On 29/07/2009, at 11:01 AM, Mark Kelly wrote:
>
>> Our NSSCF money FINALLY arrived yesterday - after an 8 month wait...
>>
>> Within 2 years we're going to have to find space for a MINIMUM of 919
>> computers...  yikes.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Kelly
>> Manager - Information Systems
>> McKinnon Secondary College
>> McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria, Australia
>> Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
>> School Phone +613 8520 9000
>> School Fax +613 9578 9253
>> kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au