[Year 12 IT Apps] information needed for gantt charts

geoffmoss37 at bigpond.com geoffmoss37 at bigpond.com
Thu Feb 19 13:21:41 EST 2009

While I agree with your comments Mark, I find that students learn more about putting the Gannt chart together with Excel as they do not enjoy the pleasure of the software doing the processing task for them.

I find my students have to, an do, think more clearly of the required tasks and their order.  The challenge of putting in milestones and predecessors requires more work but I feel they develop a better understanding by having to install their own predecessors from a pre-drawn drawing tool image.

I do not decry the use of Project and would use it if I did not have to teach my students Access as well.

Now, if we digress to PERT charts then MS Project is the way to go.

A useful illustration is provided at:
http://gates.comm.virginia.edu/rrn2n/teaching/gantt.htm

Geoff Moss
RMIT