[Year 12 IT Apps] ITA Proposed U3O2 - a bias towards databases?

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 19 15:33:51 EST 2009

The second key knowledge dotpoint in the proposed U3O2 has an
interesting bias in it, from my viewpoint...

"- capabilities and limitations of a relational database management
system and spreadsheet software in meeting different needs, measured in
terms of scalability, security, integrity of data, flexibility,
shareability;"

Looking at those criteria, a database wins (or at least ties) every
time.  'Flexibility' may be argued about as it can be interpreted either
as 'Flexibility of data relationships' (which a database would probably
win) or 'Ability to be modified easily' (which probably favours a
spreadsheet).

Surely there are other criteria that could give the spreadsheet a moment
of glory, e.g.
- efficiency of construction
- ease/speed of learning enough about the tool to achieve something useful
- ease of performing ad hoc modelling

On the other hand, an important advantage not attributed to the two
tools is their ability to product well-formatted, individualised output
(e.g. reports, certificates, pay cheques) which require major
backward-bending to achieve in a spreadsheet via mail merge, for example.

P.S. I was just talking about the proposed IT design to our VCE
accounting teacher and she said it was mad to have so much databasing.
Spreadsheet skill, she said, is what the finance world is really keen on.

kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
McKinnon Rd, McKinnon 3204, Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085 Fax +613 9578 9253

Why do people mis-spell 'grammar' and mispronounce 'pronuniciation'?