[Year 12 IT Apps] Glossary - example

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 19 13:21:19 EST 2009

Yes - it was only this year that a student suggested the interpretation
that the question intended the options to be read in that specific order
(i.e. "swipe card is electronic AND login+password is physical IN THAT
ORDER").  I never read it that way in the past - indeed there were no
clues in the wording of the question that this interpretation was needed.

Yep... badly worded.

But still: a card is _not_ an electronic component, whichever way you
read it  :-[

Lumsden, Richard G wrote:
> I believe the problem of the glossary goes a lot further.  Multiple
> choice questions in the context of IT will always be problematic and too
> language specific especially for ESL students.  I would prefer to see
> them removed completely and avoid the inherent debate on the pros and
> cons of the wording and interpretation of the choices in the multiple
> choice questions each year in the final exam.
>
> Take for instance question 2 again, apart from the terminology and
> choices offered:
>
> Are the security components respectfully ordered from the question to
> the answer?  If a student believed they were (either falsely or
> correctly), then only choosing the password as electronic would yield
> the correct answer. Not a good question all round!
>
> Question 2: A bank teller uses a swipe card and a login with password to
> access clients' bank accounts. This security is an example of A.
> physical and biometric.
> B. electronic and physical.
> C. biometric and biometric.
> D. electronic and electronic.

kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
McKinnon Rd, McKinnon 3204, Victoria, Australia
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085 Fax +613 9578 9253

Why do people mis-spell 'grammar' and mispronounce 'pronuniciation'?