[Year 12 IT Apps] Completely OT: connecting Linux box to eduPaSS wireless network

Graham Gales gales.graham.w at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Oct 24 11:09:31 EST 2008

>From our technician

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Be helpful if he stated what the problem is.  If he's migrated over to a
new R61, then I would suggest that the certificates are not valid.  Had
the same problem here with the Vista machines - turned out old certs
were transferred over and were trying to be loaded before new ones.
Just purge all certs from the machine, kill off the offending ones on
eduPaSS and issue new ones.

eduPaSS itself has not changed at all during the rollout period.  The
only thing that changed was the actual hardware it runs on, but that
will make no difference.

The other thing is if he's gone from a R5x to a R61, has he made sure
that the wireless driver is correct; assuming that out of the box a
wireless driver on any system works is complete foolery :)

And finally did they change the distribution of linux they have
installed?

Far too obtuse a question really - I mean if it said something like the
machine can't find a certificate to authenticate with, this would be
easy(ier) to find and fix.

Oh and if he's had certs for two years - most likely they have expired.
Default expiration time is 730 days, which fits right into the two
years.  This would be my first guess.

Graham Gales
Bright P-12 College