[Year 12 IT Apps] RE: filtering software overkill!..fireworksMX qn.

Nash, Peter N nash.peter.n at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun May 11 10:58:11 EST 2008

Kent further to this - I am at a government school with similar issues
in respect to filtering websites.

Our school in their wisdom whether to cut costs - do not know why this
was done, decided 12 to 18 months ago to only use education channel and
associated firewall filtering. This caused some issues that were slowly
overcome, but in some VCE units and the need to review search engines
other than Education Channel caused major problems. I have unblocked a
number of sites for my students to use but there are always those sites
you need that are filtered out - in theory it is not too bad as it made
teachers think about sites that are most appropriate for students
although for senior students it is quite inhibiting.

I am a prolific user of wikis (Wikispaces) and other social networking
applications to support student learning. Most of these sites I have
created are private, secure sites using SSL / encryption technology. In
the last 2 months due to issues with some proxy bypass applications used
by some students at my school to bypass the education channel that use
sites with https: prefixes the decision was made by those in at DEECD
and those who control our internet and education channel decided to
block all https: sites to students at our school.

What are the consequences of this? The students no long can access my
on-line wikis at school. The curriculum is on them - fortunately they
can access them at home. My plan to use them for collaborative on-line
group work for year 11 can not be done effectively and it has caused
more frustration to students who are trying other inappropriate tools to
bypass the firewall.

The point being - if the wikis were not "private" or unsecure they would
work. But we privacy and the need to provide a safe on-line working
environment for students and by blocking these sites is compromising the
learning of students.

History:  I contacted Russell Blackie at DEECD - who controls the
content of Education Channel he is aware of the issue but it is the
company that controls the servers are the one that controls the firewall
to block sites. To me it was easier to block all https: sites and they
communicated back to me through our technicians that they can not
unblock specific site - I find this surprising.

I am writing this out of frustration - and in some way it is similar to
what Kent is experiencing. If the department is committed to using more
Web 2.0 technologies effectively in the curriculum then issues such as
this needs to be resolved. I would like to think within the next month
or so.

Have anyone else on the list had similar experiences? How were they
resolved?

>From a frustrated IT teacher with ideas in using social networks, wikis
etc in the curriculum I am interested to resolve this issue for myself
and my students

Kent thanks for initiating the topic "Filtering software overkill"

Regards

Peter Nash

IT Teacher and Daily Organiser

Galvin Park Secondary College

Shaws Road, Werribee, Vic. 3030

Tel: (03) 9741 4911

Please consider the environment before you print this page.