[Year 12 IT Apps] Virtual Realty Software

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed May 7 13:23:29 EST 2008

Paul Chandler ran a workshop about Alice at the VITTA conference last year.
There has also been a discussion about this on the QSITE list and on
Kevork's opensource mailing list. http://www.edulists.com.au/opensource

Alice is a powerful bit of software that makes it easy to create an 3D
animation for telling a story, playing an interactive game, or a video to
share on the web with a drag-and-drop interface. Open source too I notice
that it has oodles of teaching resources, video tutorials, galleries and
import / export formats. Easy for middle school students to pick up and
learn. We have it loaded on our base image and the students have had fun
playing about with it during lunchtime.
     http://www.alice.org/

A QLD PS techer has taught Story Telling Alice to Years 3-6 with great
results and reported that ".. It is the same as Alice except their are more
characters and the charracters are already programmed to do basic gestures.
Once they had a quick play I then asked the students to create a story map
and then they began construction of their narration. Students found it
easier to use than Kahootz and finished work was far more advanced. When
training a few teachers at the end of last year, it only took a couple
minutes to get them up and running.."

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au