[Year 12 IT Apps] Re: Video Conferencing

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Jun 24 11:13:58 EST 2008

Kerrie (with edna) writes,

We have been using Wimba Live Classroom for online conferencing with
edna’s online workshops last Wednesday and today.

After edna Groups is upgraded to Moodle 1.8.4 this Friday we will be
making Live Classroom available on a selected basis to individual groups
(we will be able to enable by Group etc)

Currently it is available only in Sandpit groups
http://sandpit.edna.edu.au and you must have a Group to use it ( You will
still need a Group to run a Live Classroom)

So far we have had successful sessions for 14-24 people

This morning’s “breakfast” session on me.edu.au at 7.30 am Adelaide had
people from WA, QLD, VIC , NSW, SA, NT and ACT in it.

At this point using this tool costs the user nothing – there are some
school firewall and proxy server hurdles for some deployments to overcome-
many people are logging in from home – i.e. having a workshop day from
home rather than just going to another venue. Many are spending 5+ hours
online this way today

Regards

Kerrie Smith

Assistant Manager, edna, Professional Learning & Online Communities
education.au
182 Fullarton Road
Dulwich, SA 5065
p +61 8 8334 3213\