OFFTOPIC Re: [Year 12 IT Apps] Parallel thinking

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Jun 18 08:44:37 EST 2008

Hi all.  This thread is offtopic, but as long as it doesn't hang around
long we can live with it.

While I'm here, I had a Macbook in the last rollout but have reverted to
a PC:

- I detest the Macbook dwarf keyboard (no true DELETE key [it's actually
a backspace], no PGUP or PGDN etc, Control in the wrong place).  I had
to use a utility to remap keys to give me proper functionality.
- The lack of a proper right-click
-The way it shows every mark on its pristine white skin
-The lack of hard disk space on each partition when dual-booting
-The OS melt-downs (3 times in 6 months the whole Windows partition
turned into tapioca)
-And finally, the overheating which jams optical disks in the drive and
refuses to eject them until it cools down!  Of course a manual eject
button would spoil the sexy look, the drive is not user-removable, and
there isn't even an emergency eject hole for the paperclip manoeuvre.
- And I never really needed the Mac side anyway
- It amused me how Filemaker 8.5 would not run under Leopard, while
Windows ran it fine
- Installing Leopard instantly killed wireless access through Edupass
- There was no Office 2007 for Mac

I'm a happier camper now I've thrown off this Mac tendency, and a few of
our Macbook staff are reverting to a Lenovo on the next rollout.

Jock Garnsworthy wrote:
> If you think about it, there is no choice !
> I converted to mac in the last rollout cos I got a free Ipod – still
> going strong.
> Best marketing strategy for yonks.
> Apple have it all covered.
> Best of all worlds.
> Have used Virtual PC for markbook, access and VB. YUK very slow and clunky.
> Now with Parallels who can argue !
>
> Can’t wait for the rollout to actually happen.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Jock
> __________________________
> Jock Garnsworthy
> Pasco St.
> Williamstown High School
> (03)93971899
>

> On 17/6/08 4:28 PM, "Russo, Frank R" <Russo.Frank.R at edumail.vic.gov.au>
> wrote:
>
>     I have always taught on Windows PC’s and have only been exposed to
>     iMAC in the classroom this year I do remember teaching databases on
>     an Apple IIe but that was many moons ago.
>
>     I have always opted for the Apple option with the Laptop Program and
>     have had no problems being able to do everything I have needed to
>     except for Visual Basic.
>
>     Now with Parallels even that will be taken care of.
>
>     Welcome to the club !!!
>
>     As my schools Notebook Rep there seems to be a swing amongst staff
>     over to Apple (especially those whose Thinkpad died on a monthly basis)
>

>     Frank Russo
>     ICT ~ Teaching & Learning
>     Monterey Secondary College

>     *Subject:* [Year 12 IT Apps] Parallel thinking
>

>     With the current round of notebooks for DEECD teaching staff, and
>     after many years teaching VCE IT with Toshiba, ACER, IBM and then
>     Levono laptops, I have decided to opt for the Apple notebook option.
>     Last week I was really impressed with a colleague running Parallels
>     who was able to seamlessly switch between OSX to XP applications (or
>     Ubuntu Linux) using a little used feature called Coherence.
>          link to a blog entry with details about this feature
>     <http://lifehacker.com/software/parallels/hack-attack-how-to-run-windows-and-mac-apps-sidebyside-with-parallels-221002.php>
>

>     It didn't really matter what operating system we use .. shift
>     happens. I saw this myself at the VITTA conference last year after a
>     day long session demonstrating programming with Python in the Apple
>     lab. It didn't matter. A lighter weight and better design are also
>     factors I am considering .. bluetooth, perhaps Apple iPhone
>     integration??
>

>     With due dignity to all users and systems, I do not wish to turn
>     this into a mac / windows flame or debate about incremental
>     advantages. Jokes about one or two button mice mean nothing when
>     both systems plug and play just about anything you throw at them.
>
>     Somebody once described this to me as how we learn to play chess. It
>     doesn't matter if your pieces are made of finely crafted glass or
>     bottle tops. It doesn't matter if the chess board is made of ivory
> [...]

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.
If you Declare War - is it integer or boolean?