[Year 12 IT Apps] Alt tags showing in IE, not in Firefox - DreamWeaver help please

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Jul 25 15:28:43 EST 2008

This puzzled me too, but a quick google revealed this:

http://gadgetopia.com/post/3206

"The ALT tag for images is NOT supposed to produce a little tooltip when
you mouseover an image, according to the HTML spec. This is supposed to
be the job of the TITLE tag.

"Firefox has never done this for ALT tags, correctly obeying the spec.
This always confused me, because some images would pop a tooltip and
others wouldn’t. Apparently the ones that did also had a TITLE tag,
unbeknowst to me.

"However, IE has always done it for the ALT tag too, which actually
seems reasonable to me. I don’t see the harm.

"So someone created an extention for Firefox to “fix” this problem. Not
everyone was pleased..."

Joseph Papaleo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone advise me why alt tags created in html pages using
> DreamWeaver appear in IE, but not in Firefox?  I'd like to remove this
> problem from their upcoming online documentation task for U4O1.
>
> Any advice appreciated
>
> --
> Joseph Papaleo
> Ivanhoe Grammar School
> Plenty Campus

School Phone +613 8520 9000
School Fax +613 95789253
kel AT mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au

A conclusion is the place where you got sick of thinking.
If you Declare War - is it integer or boolean?