[Year 12 IT Apps] Chat before exams

murch at tpg.com.au murch at tpg.com.au
Wed May 30 19:25:30 EST 2007

We are in farming community area and I teach in a small country P12 school. My kids are big into
messaging with mobile phones. Most of my year 12 students have free messaging on their phones
after 8:00pm.  So for eg accounting they message a student (whose name I have pulled out of a
jar) with an accounting term from a predertermined list of possible terms.  Their student then
replies with the definition.  The first time we did it, we set reminder alarms on their phones.
Some continued on and sent more terms and even marked the replies they received.  We try and
do this two or three times a week as the exams loom.
Those who do not have messaging get an email from me at roughly the same time and must
reply to me.
We do not have moodle but most kids have msn at home so I will set up some online revision
times next week for half an hour or so. Will also look at using some of the web 2.0 sites as
possible collaborative tools as well. Am also encouraging students to set up del.icio.us sites with
their individual subject favourite sites for easy access during term time and revision.  This would
include any interesting podcast sites that might be useful.
Anne Mirtschin
Hawkesdale p12 College.