[Year 12 IT Apps] Time Allowance Unit 3 OC 2

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu May 10 10:56:37 EST 2007

Hi Fiona

There are no fixed times - it just should be 'reasonable' based on the
size and difficulty and weighting of the task, your kids' skill levels,
the phase of the moon etc.

It's one of those 'professional calls'.  Allow too little time and you
disadvantage the kids.  Too much time and it gets hard to differentiate
the levels of achievement your kids attain 'cos the best kids finish
with time to spare and just twiddle their thumbs while the lesser
students have bonus time to catch up.

When allocating times, I do a mental simulation of how long a particular
average-skilled kid in my class would take to (for example) answer 5
analysis questions of about 5 lines of writing per question; or how long
it would take (based on previous practice sessions) to (for example)
create a Gantt chart.

The first time I use a new task I watch kids' progress and sometimes
tweak the timings for the next time I use the same task.  Sometimes I
time myself doing the task and double that time for the kids.  Sometimes
I guess wildly.

HTH

Mark