[Year 12 IT Apps] VELS and progression points

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 20 09:11:28 EST 2007

Dear colleagues

Thanks to Charmaine, Stephen and Robert for your considered responses.
Here are just a couple of random thoughts!

*          Regarding the matter of curriculum design, what is included
in pre-service courses? For those of us at the more 'senior' end of the
teaching scale, maybe we need some refresher professional learning on
this matter. Maybe VITTA/ICTEV/VCAA/DoE could run some ongoing PD
programs on course design? VCAA is currently undergoing a project
focusing on course design to support VELS. Focus groups of teachers are
being invited to put forward their suggestions for support, and to
respond to some VCAA proposals.

As another small gesture to the process of course design, you will note
in the VCAA CD Implementing VCE IT, a couple of different models of
course design were briefly described and then partially illustrated
through the development of  6-8 week programs. I would also strongly
urge that you read material from Jay McTighe and Grant Wiggins
(Understanding by Design).

*          I would really welcome further comments about what you need
to effectively implement VELS and how you would like to receive
assistance. Armed with your comments I will endeavour to act on your
behalf.

Regards

Paula

Paula Christophersen