[Year 12 IT Apps] Fwd: VELS and semester reporting - please advise

Kevork Krozian kevork at edulists.com.au
Mon Jun 11 22:22:59 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

 Thanks to all who responded. I am not sure that there is a resolution here.
I have had the full spectrum of possible solutions or opinions and I am
grateful to all.
I will report back to the list if more comes to light but I do fear some of
us may be out on a limb with the particular approach taken.
Eg. Is it unacceptable/irregular/unlawful to teach a unit in Sem 1 and then
repeat it in Sem 2 by virtue of the fact the progression points expect a
graduated improvement in semester portions and to teach the same standard
means one of the semester is not at the right level ? or
shifting/fudging/elevating the progression point interpretation for the same
performance in Sem 2 to "calibrate" the performance vs letter grade graph ?
 One approach we have discussed at Forest Hill College is that since ICT is
a doman in its own right it deserves reporting in each year in each
semester. We have a full year of ICT at Yrs 7 and 8 but only a single
compulsory semester in Yr 9 - whenever the student can be slotted in during
the year -  and an optional programming elective in Yr 10, again either in
Sem 1 or 2 based on availability of teacher and students. One approach being
discussed is to convert the Yr 9 course into a full year course thus
removing the problem of solely a single semester report and possibly also
extending the Yr 10 course into a full year. This would happen by halving
the number of periods per week and doubling the number of weeks. Same
content, but no reporting problems .......

Speak soon
Kevork Krozian
Edulists Creator and Administrator
www.edulists.com.au