[Year 12 IT Apps] Off Topic: Laptop agreements

Russell Edwards edwards.russell.t at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Jul 27 08:59:54 EST 2007

On 27/07/2007, at 8:34 AM, Sylvia Pastore-Bautista wrote:

> Hello there
>
> I was wondering if anyone had a laptop agreement for staff that
> they are willing to share. We are in the process of deciding on
> whether to have laptop program for our staff and wanted to know
> what others do regarding it.
>
> Few questions: Do staff pay for them?
> DO you allow staff to install their own programs?
> Do you have an agreement that staff sign?

I'm at a government school. The education dept have a laptops for
teachers program. Staff pay for them, about $8 per fortnight deducted
pre-tax from your salary.  Staff are given administrator privileges
so I assume we're allowed to install our own software. Downsides are
that staff have to write a whole spiel and huff and puff about how
they're going to do all the latest edubabble with the laptop
(ePotential, eLearning, ePDs eTc), and also it takes quite a long
time between requesting one and getting one. IMO one should not have
to grovel if one is paying! Also in general I believe you're required
to take a used laptop if one becomes available before the next
rollout of new laptops. This is a bit rich when you're expected to
pay the same amount for it as a brand new one.    All in all, it's a
lot less hassle to just go down to Harvey Norman and buy your own--on
credit if needs be.  A number of staff at my school took that option
although I doubt it could work out nearly as cheap as the
department's leasing option.

cheers

Russell