[Year 12 IT Apps] Macros in Excel

Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jul 25 18:34:46 EST 2007

Hello Russell

I think perhaps because Excel has so much 'programmability' through its
standard formula set that macros are something one creates for specific
purposes, so perhaps the trick is to think of specific applications where
the user has to do the same thing fairly frequently and does not want to
have to go through an elaborate key sequence each time. That is, an
application where
specific automation is useful.

For example, I keep my student records in Excel, one workbook per class. I
have two macros that I use all the time (and perhaps can be adapted to other
applications). One that is triggered by Ctrl-Shift-N (for New sheet): it
prompts me for a worksheet name (and I might enter, say, GM proj), it then
creates a new worksheet with that name and copies the class list from the
first worksheet into the new sheet. A second is triggered by Ctrl-Shift-L:
it hyperlinks a cell containing a student's network user name to their
network folder.  Both of these process normally require several clicks that
I am too lazy to go through each time.

So perhaps you could adpat those particular jobs you mentioned to something
for the students and put it to them that automation is required (as opposed
to widespread/general use)

Regards
Robert T-A