[Year 12 IT Apps] RE: Adding a help option in Excel

Charles Clarke cfc at beaconhills.vic.edu.au
Wed Jul 18 09:56:44 EST 2007

I do use the comments set to pop up when the mouse is run over the relevant cell.  If students are using this feature for their documentation I would ask for a printout of all the comments and their locations.

Two other options are:

1. to use one of the worksheets accessed by the tabs at the bottom of the screen... I use the first one, label it Help, set it to a more noticeable colour and put a note/link to it on the main worksheet. I prefer that to using a separate file as it is too easy for separate files to become separated!

2. you can set up a quicktips cell by putting a list of tips in a column of hidden cells, put an index column next to them (ie 1 to the number of tips),then use a lookup in the quicktips cell that references a random number in the range used in the index column.  The quicktips will refresh each time an entry is made in the spreadsheet data.

I have used a link to a web page on our intranet which has the advantage of being able to be updated independently of the spreadsheet, however as our intranet is in a constant state of flux I have had problems with the link dying so am not using that at present.

Not sure what you mean by changing the headings at the top of each column..

Cheers

Charlie