[Year 12 IT Apps] U4O2 Security Resources

henma at gopc.net henma at gopc.net
Thu Jul 12 12:25:15 EST 2007

Some great stuff being discussed regarding security!

I watched the clip from CBC "Can you hack it?". The tools used are
mostly opensource. I ran a demo using the Nessus scanner, nmap and
dsniff for a network practical (on an isolated network of course!) for
the VCE ITA unit on networks. I used a linux laptop as the students
were pretty keen to "have a go" themselves, so I did my best just to
show them the output and packet dumps, rather than the software
packages themselves. Also, they would have to install linux to get the
same the results! The same tools are available for Windows, but I
didn't want to make it too easy for them!

So far no one has mentioned SANS. They have some great resources
online for researching security. Their Reading Room can be quite
depressing at times!

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/

I can recommend SANS as a "real world" site. When I had a real world
job, we used their guides and resources for securing our networks.

Cheers

Henry Johnson
Moodle Administrator
Yavneh College